Thursday, March 22, 2007

Voices from the past

For the longest time I have wanted to share a lot of things about my career in radio in Massachusetts. I have climbed all over the internet trying to find sites directly related to radio of years gone by in the Springfield, Massachusetts area. I believe this is the only one available on the web now, and I have a lot of memories to share about my tenure behind the microphone at old stations such as WREB in Holyoke, WSPR in the 80"s, WLDM which became WNNZ, and WMAS in Springfield, a station I was fired from twice.After coming back from Viet Nam in the early seventies, I had but one goal in life. To become an actor. Before my time in the military, I had been in a half dozen ot so stage shows, the first was in a show named, " Scarecrow Dick", a performance at the Joseph P. Metcalf school.in Holyoke, about a thousand years ago. I played a tree. As my Father always referred to me as a knot head, this was the perfect roll for be. I recall stepping on one of the branches of my costume and crashing to the stage, and the audience roared. That laughter was the Genesis of my career. I made people laugh, and I liked it. I liked it a lot.So here it is, over a half century later, and I still love to make people laugh, but I have lost the outlet to do so till today, when I created this blog.I will share with you stories of radio days gone by, my summers working at the Mt. Tom Playhouse, on the grounds of Mountain Park in Holyoke, where I had odd relationships with Tallulah Bankhead, Merv Griffen, Cesar Romero and others. I'll describe what it was like making the only movie I was ever in, and getting blown up in that movie. I also have a few stories about a television show I was part of on WWLP in the early eighties, but most of all, how and why I got involved in radio, and the way the radio business became the business of radio.I invite you to share any memories or questions about the stations above, or any people you might remember from those times, and I will probably start later today or tomorrow to let you know how radio was and why it can never be that way again. It was an amazing ride, and I would love to do it all over again, but I can't. Fortunately, I have hundreds of audio tapes to relive some of those times, and if science is correct, the residents of Alpha Centauri are listening to me right now. Some of them will send back hate mail, and I assure you, it won't be signed. Welcome aboard.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi George,
I found your blog while googling for Joe Tex and an appearance he made on some radio show in Holyoke during the late 60s or early 70s. The only DJ name I could remember from that era was "Tracy Cole", so I plugged it into the search engine and voila, I found your blog.
Although I left my home town and the US when you were starting your career there, I have always been a radio fan and really enjoy your stories.
Please spin some more!
Thanks!

George Murphy said...

There will be more to come when and if I can find work again, as we are pretty bad off now, so much so that we had to have the home computer shut off. If I ever find work again, I'll post more stuff about the great old radio days.
George